Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Life Changer

Over the past few months I have come to an understanding that its time to take my life back.  I had another journal on another website and I have been following the decision making process and the things that have been happening.  I want to keep the decision from my family.  The decision I have made is to consider bariatric sugery for my weight loss.  I have battled my whole life with being over weight, but it wasn't until the last few years that it has gotten way out of control.  When I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale and topped out at 254.0 lbs I was beyond shocked!  This is not the person I am.  I'm not one of those people who let myself get like that.  Yet here I am.  I am so heavy I am infertile.  I have lost out on the chance of having children because I let it get this far. 

When considering the surgery, I had to think about not only the risk of death during or right after surgery, but also the after care.  I will be off work for several weeks. I will be on a liquid diet for a couple of weeks.  After the couple of weeks I will add soft foods very slowly.  It will take 8 to 9 weeks before I can add solid foods.  The most I would be able to eat is 1 cup of food at a time.  I will have to constantly maintain 64 oz of water everyday because I can't eat foods that normally were packed with water.  I will have to take a vitamin and iron supplement for the rest of my life and depending on the type of surgery I get, I may have frequent visits back to the surgeon. 

On July 5, 2012 I go back for a weight loss seminar.  I don't know what comes after that, but from what I understand of the process other places you have to attend the seminar, then attend a counseling session and a visit with the nutritionist.  The hospital I found while researching it also required your application to be put in front of a committee.  The next big hurtle for me will be getting my insurance to cover the surgery.  I just pray that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment